Saturday, July 9, 2011

30 Miler!

 July 9th, 2011                 


Well, I'm going to try my hand at writing a blog about our biking adventures.  I am not an english teacher, but this seems like something I would enjoy as we prepare for the MS150.  This summer I am not traveling alone on the roads.  Since Gail has gotten the "biking bug" we have planned trips with the bikes in preparation for the August ride.  I have totally enjoyed our rides and in some ways it seems like old times when we used to play basketball together.  The easy days, when all we had to worry about was what time practice was and how we would beat the next opponent.  Now we enjoy talking about the length of the ride, how hard or easy it was, and if we would take the trip again. 

As we are riding I like to do a few things.  First, I like to pray for people...family, friends, and things that come up over the course of a week.  The other thing I do is try to catch Gail.  I call her a "jack rabbit" because as soon as she starts pedaling she is gone. Thankfully, she will stop at key points so that we can get caught up, or take pictures because she knows how much I enjoy capturing the moment and a good scene!

Today as we were traveling through Unity, the triple hills were on the end of our trip.  As usual, Gail was pulling away very quickly as she is tremendous at conquering hills.  I am a turtle and fall behind at the blink of an eye.  As she was pulling away, I was thinking about our relationship (when I say our, I mean anyone who has a personal relationship with Jesus Christ) with Jesus.  Hills are brutal, they are hard to climb and most often take me a long time.  There are times when I don't want to climb the hill, I want to get off and walk (but I don't because I'm stubborn), the lactic acid builds up, is painful and makes me want to quit.  I often times lose sight of Gail, and my push ends because she will be uncatchable.

If we think about our struggles and liken this to the hill...how often do we lose sight of God when we are in the midst of our struggles?  How often does it feel like He isn't in sight anymore?  I'm so thankful for the scriptures and the promises God has given us in His word.  Even if it feels like we are alone climbing the hill, Jesus is right there with us.  He is there through every heartache, through the pain that has been suffered, he feels our pain and He is going to guide us to the other side.  How beautiful that will be!

"The Lord himself goes before you and will be with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you.  Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged." Deuteronomy 31:8 NIV

Believe it or not, there are many good things about hills. Once you get to the top of the hill, there will often a beauty beyond belief.  After we climb the the retched hills, the downhills are so much fun, lots of cruizing, wind blowing to cool us off, and REST. 

Matthew 11:28 says, "Come to me all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest."

When you are climbing those hills in your life...remember there is a loving Savior right there with us, he loves us and he will give us rest!

Happy Trails!  Shara

1 comment:

  1. Shara, I love your analogy and willingness to share here. God is truly amazing! I know He is pleased when we connect with Him in everything we do! WEll, Amen Sistah! :-)

    ReplyDelete